Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Good Read!

Even when I was a child, there was nothing more relaxing and fun than cracking open a book and being magically transported to another land, another time, or another person's life. Today this still holds true for me. For me, when I read the words on the page cease to exist and show themselves like a film in my mind. As I read I'm watching what's happening in my book in my imagination. It's quite intriguing really! Everything that happens around me I don't even notice. I zone out to the world and zone in to the world inside the book. Nothing else can give me that amazing sensation as reading does.

That being said, I'm very particular about books that I read. I prefer to read books that put things in a happier, fun light than not. I suppose that's why I usually read romances. However, I am reading two books currently that are quite different from my norm. One is The Protector's War by S. M. Stirling and the other is Calico: Children of the Shawnee by Allison Bruning.

The Protector's War is actually the second book in a trilogy. The first one is Dies the Fire and it was fantastic! Imagine yourself in the modern world when suddenly all electricity ceases to work. All of physics and science changes and nothing is as it once was any longer. The modern world is plunged into the Dark Ages and people have to learn how to survive. Factions are formed and people rule their lands differently. That's the story of this trilogy. In The Protector's War two friendly factions, the Mackenzies and the Bearkillers, are preparing for war against the Protectorate, as the Protector really is an evil, conniving man whose goal is to further his own good. This book is definitely a drama and keeps you on the edge of your seat!

Calico: Children of the Shawnee is the first book of a series by Allison Bruning. From the first page, I was hooked on this one. You are taken back in time to the mid-1700's to a time when the Native Americans were in control of the land and the European settlers have just arrived. The book centers on a young white girl named Calico, who is growing up as a member of the Shawnee tribe. She is at odds with Little Owl, a boy from her tribe and the two fight often. I am currently about a third of the way through the book and Calico is twelve at this point. She's struggling with growing up and feels more comfortable hunting than she does at home cooking, sewing, or doing other tasks left to the women. I'm thoroughly enjoying this book. It reads quickly and I look forward to reading more each day.

So if you're looking for a couple of good reads, you might want to check these out. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment